Elementary Troubleshooting and Problem Solving
Often, analysts use an ad hoc approach to problem solving using their instincts and past experience to guide them. This approach is inconsistent and often wastes time and resources. Thus Troubleshooting and Problem Solving is a skill required for leaders, managers and all those in positions of authority to ensure efficiency in their areas of influence. This course will give participants an overview of the entire creative problem solving process, as well as key problem solving tools that they can use every day. Skills such as brainstorming, information gathering, analyzing data, and identifying resources will be covered throughout the training. This Elementary Troubleshooting and Problem Solving course explores the major areas that affect people’s ability to troubleshoot effectively.
Structured problem solving provides a systematic approach to advance from the identification of a problem to the solution. It includes defining, describing, establishing possible causes, testing the most probable cause and verifying the true cause. When integrated into the incident management process, analysts, technicians, managers and other leaders can leverage proper questioning skills, critical and creative thinking skills, knowledge capturing skills, and diagnostic skills to solve incidents and problems efficiently and accurately.
This dynamic course focuses on the value of a structured, consistent problem solving process. Learning to harness natural problem solving skills and successfully applying them during applicable and energizing activities. During this two-day course, course participants will participate in a continuous workshop scenario intended to engage and embed each learning concept.
Who should attend the course?
- Technical support staff who need to learn how to resolve incidents and/or problems following a structured problem solving methodology
- Team leaders and managers who want to support their team’s ability to follow the structured problem solving process
- Leaders who have to make decisions and ensure efficiency in their organizations
- Resolve more incidents on your own
- Implement a structured and proven process for troubleshooting
- Explain the benefits of knowing and listening to customers
- Identify root causes to identified problems
- Ensure your understanding of the customer’s issue
- Use tools that can lead to greater service excellence
- Explain how structured problem solving integrates into the incident management process
- Leverage open- and closed-ended questions properly
- Capture information in a journalistic style
- Document specific types of details throughout the problem solving process
- Generate knowledge documents with greater ease
The Learning Model
The trainer uses up-to-date training techniques and a variety of training methods to give all participants. These techniques will be implemented in order to ensure all learner are stimulated:
- Interactive exercises
- Case Studies
- Individual Work
- Interactive Large Group Discussion
- Role Plays
- Small Group Activities
- Defining the Problem
- Problem Solving Techniques
- Information Gathering
- Preparing for Brainstorming
- Generating Solutions
- Analyzing Solutions
- Selecting a Solution
- Planning Your Next Steps
- Evaluate The Effectiveness of the Solution
- Recording Lessons Learned
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to;
- Apply logical tools to properly analyze problems for root causes.
- Establish and compare options in a variety of situations.
- Identify the best choice from various options.
- Apply a four-step process to systematically solve problems and decide on appropriate solutions.
- Use methods and tools to discover the underlying cause of a problem.
- Use brainstorming, mind mapping, and several other creative thinking techniques to generate possible solutions to the problem.
- Use the following decision-making techniques.
- Create an action plan to implement the appropriate solution.
The course will be implemented in 3 days